Winey Pickled Grapes
- 1 1/2 cups Taylor Made BDX
- 500g Red grapes
- 1 cup Raw sugar
- 3/4 cup Water
- 2 Allspice - per jar
- 4 Peppercorns - per jar
- 1 slice Ginger - per jar
- Makes approx. 2 x 370ml jars
- Sterilise your jars and lids with a soapy hot wash and rinse or put them through the dishwasher. Put jars into a low oven (110 degrees) for 15 minutes. Boil the lids for 5 minutes in a small saucepan, then let them air dry.
- Wash grapes, remove stems and put them into a bowl.
- Make the syrup by putting wine, vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Increase heat and bring to simmer point. Boil for a few minutes. Take off the heat.
- When the jars are cool enough to handle, put 2 allspice berries, 4 peppercorns and a slice of ginger into each one. Carefully pack the grapes, pour over the hot syrup and let them soften for a few minutes; they will shrink, and you may be able to pack in some more. Remove any air bubbles by gently tapping each jar on the work surface and sliding a butter knife or chopstick around the inside to release any hidden air pockets. You may need to add more grapes or brine after doing this (the liquid should reach about 1cm in from the top of the jar). Wipe the rims of the jar with a clean cloth and seal.
- Pop in the fridge and wait a few weeks before trying. They'll last 3 months in the fridge.
- To store for longer, heat process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.